National Leadership Workshop
Our 2012 Workshop will be held on October 19-21 in San Antonio, Texas!
Registration is now closed.
The 2013 National Leadership Workshop will be held in San Diego, CA!
Each chapter may send one advisor and two students to the Workshop - Workshop attendance is limited to the first 200 registrants. Registrations will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. If the Workshop fills up before you're able to register, National ALD will start a waiting list, and you'll be notified if any space becomes available.
Registration for the Workshop costs $35 per attendee.
Each attendee will receive:
- Two nights at the St. Anthony Hotel (shared room - same-sex roommates will be assigned by the National Office)
- Snacks on Friday night, all meals on Saturday, and a continental grab-'n'-go breakfast on Sunday
- All Workshop materials, including an interest-session book and all appropriate handouts
- A 2012 National Leadership Workshop t-shirt
Chapters or individuals are responsible for travel expenses to and from the Workshop site and for any incidental expenses.
- September 7: Deadline for chapters to be entered in the Travel Grant Lottery
- September 14: Registration deadline for the National Leadership Workshop
- October 19-21: 2012 National Leadership Workshop, San Antonio, Texas
We've got an excellent program lined up for the 2012 Workshop!
Friday night, we'll gather at 7:00 pm for our opening session. We'll hear from our keynote speaker, Dr. Gage Paine, Vice President for Student Affairs at the University of Texas. We'll get to know one another a little better with icebreakers and our annual water bottle exchange, and give a little something back with our 2012 National Service Project. Advisors will have a chance to meet one another at the Advisors' Get-Together.
During Saturday's morning's breakfast, learn about National ALD programs and opportunities from the National Office staff and the ALD National Council Student Members-at-Large. Dr. Mike Nichols will share some information on getting your chapter's projects and programs included in the 2013 edition of the Flame.
After breakfast, we'll break out into our interest sessions - you'll be able to attend four different sessions, with topics such as:
- My Honor Society (for newcomers) - Learn "just the basics" of ALD's new online registration system. We'll cover setting up invitations, inviting students to join, and collecting information from your new members.
- Officers and Advisors: BFF's - A good relationship between chapter advisors and chapter officers is vital - hear and share tips for improving the officer-advisor relationship.
- Social Networking - Do your members "Like" your chapter? Check out some ideas (and some ideas of what NOT to do) for improving your chapter's use of social media like Facebook and Twitter.
- Career Development - See what the California University of Pennsylvania chapter is doing to prepare ALD members for their future careers. This session will be an engaging and interactive workshop consisting of a number of Career Development exercises.
- Recruiting New Members - Hints, tips, tricks, and maybe even a few secrets for improving your chapter's member-recruitment efforts.
- My Honor Society (advanced hints and tips) - MHS can handle a lot more than just your chapter's invitations - take a more in-depth lesson in the ins-and-outs of MHS.
- Advisors Only! - Alpha Lambda Delta chapters around the country rely on volunteer advisors for expert guidance. Join the National President and Executive Director for an engaging and informative session for advisors.
- Winning ALD Scholarships and Fellowships - Each year, ALD offers almost $200,000 in scholarships and fellowships to our members. Learn how to prepare a more effective application and win!
- Service to Others - One of the core tenets of Alpha Lambda Delta is service - come to learn, or come to share in this discussion of chapter's programs, projects, and ideas for giving back to the community.
- Winning the Order of the Torch - ALD's most prestigious chapter award is the sought-after Order of the Torch. Last year's winning chapters and Torch Selection Committee Chair Kelci Teut will share ideas for helping your chapter prepare a winning application.
Following our interest sessions, we'll meet again for lunch. During lunch, students interested in running for Student Member-at-Large on the ALD National Council will have a chance to listen to a short presentation about the unique opportunities offered by becoming a member of the ALD National Council. Also, we'll have two "walk-up" sessions - get one-on-one advice for preparing your chapter's Flame submission from Editor Mike Nichols, or bring your questions about My Honor Society to Director of Communication Lee Greenway.
Saturday afternoon, take some time to explore San Antonio - visit the Alamo, take in the Texas Rangers Museum, stroll the Riverwalk, or enjoy any one of San Antonio's countless attractions!
Saturday night, we'll celebrate our 2012 award winners at the Awards Banquet, we'll hear some good words from Advisor of the Year Mike Nichols - and then pull on some dancin' shoes and get ready to get down at our Mixer and Dance.
Finally, Sunday morning will give you a chance to enjoy a leisurely breakfast, chat with National Council and National Office staff members, and say your goodbyes. Or, if you need to hit the road, grab your breakfast to go!
The 2012 Workshop will be held at the St. Anthony Hotel in downtown San Antonio. The St. Anthony is just a short walk from the San Antonio Riverwalk and from the Alamo.
St. Anthony Hotel
300 East Travis Street
San Antonio, TX 78205
If you're planning to attend the Workshop, join the 2012 Workshop Facebook Group - meet your fellow attendees before you even arrive in San Antonio! (Special thanks to the ALD National Council Student Members at Large Kelci Teut and Chris Julius for establishing and maintaining the group!)
Workshop participants can tweet to #aldconference2012
All chapters that are registered to attend the Workshop by September 7 will be entered into a random drawing - 30 chapters will receive $150 travel grants from National ALD to offset the costs of travel to and from San Antonio!