National Leadership Workshop
Our 2013 Workshop will be held on October 18-20 in San Diego, California!
Registration is now closed.
The 2013 Workshop is going to feature fun, sun, and lots of new friends! With Alpha Lambda Deltans from around the country coming together to share ideas, and give back to the community, the Workshop is going to be one of the best ever. With a low registration fee of $35 per attendee, and a program chock full of fun and useful programs, the Workshop is a steal at twice the price!
Want to see what's in store? Check out the photos from the 2012 Workshop!
Each chapter may send one advisor and two students to the Workshop - Workshop attendance is limited to the first 200 registrants. Registrations will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. If the Workshop fills up before you're able to register, National ALD will start a waiting list, and you'll be notified if any space becomes available.
Registration for the Workshop costs $35 per attendee.
Each attendee will receive:
- Two nights at the Sheraton Hotel and Marina on Mission Bay (shared room - same-sex roommates will be assigned by the National Office)
- Dinner on Friday night, all meals on Saturday, and a continental grab-'n'-go breakfast on Sunday
- All Workshop materials, including an interest-session book and all appropriate handouts
- A 2013 National Leadership Workshop shirt
Chapters or individuals are responsible for travel expenses to and from the Workshop site and for any incidental expenses.
- September 6: Deadline for chapters to be entered in the Travel Grant Lottery
- September 13: Registration deadline for the National Leadership Workshop
- October 18-20: 2013 National Leadership Workshop, San Diego, California
We've got an excellent program lined up for the 2013 Workshop!
Friday night, we'll gather at 6:00 pm for dinner and our opening session. We'll hear from our keynote speaker, David Eng of "True Colors." We'll get to know one another a little better with icebreakers and our annual water bottle exchange, and give a little something back with our 2013 National Service Project. Advisors will have a chance to meet one another at the Advisors' Get-Together.
During Saturday's morning's breakfast, learn about National ALD programs and opportunities from the National Office staff and the ALD National Council Student Members-at-Large. Dr. Mike Nichols will share some information on getting your chapter's projects and programs included in the 2013 edition of the Flame.
After breakfast, we'll break out into our interest sessions - you'll be able to attend four different sessions, with topics such as:
- My Honor Society (for advisors) - Learn how to use ALD's new online induction management system. This session will be geared towards advisors, and will cover basic use of the system; chapters that have already used MHS may not need this session.
- Officers and Advisors: BFF's - A good relationship between chapter advisors and chapter officers is vital - hear and share tips for improving the officer-advisor relationship.
- Social Networking - Do your members "Like" your chapter? Check out some ideas (and some ideas of what NOT to do) for improving your chapter's use of social media like Facebook and Twitter.
- Career Development - See what the California University of Pennsylvania chapter is doing to prepare ALD members for their future careers. This session will be an engaging and interactive workshop consisting of a number of Career Development exercises.
- Recruiting New Members - Hints, tips, tricks, and maybe even a few secrets for improving your chapter's member-recruitment efforts.
- Social Programming - How can an ALD chapter engage its members? With exciting, innovative, and fun social programs. Meet with other chapter leaders to discuss social programming for your ALD chapter.
- Advisors Only! - Alpha Lambda Delta chapters around the country rely on volunteer advisors for expert guidance. Join the National President and Executive Director for an engaging and informative session for advisors.
- Winning ALD Scholarships and Fellowships - Each year, ALD offers almost $200,000 in scholarships and fellowships to our members. Learn how to prepare a more effective application and win!
- Service to Others - One of the core tenets of Alpha Lambda Delta is service - come to learn, or come to share in this discussion of chapter's programs, projects, and ideas for giving back to the community.
- Winning the Order of the Torch - ALD's most prestigious chapter award is the sought-after Order of the Torch. Last year's winning chapters and Torch Selection Committee Chair Kelci Teut will share ideas for helping your chapter prepare a winning application.
Note: Interest sessions are subject to change. The final topics list will be available when registration opens on August 15.
Following our interest sessions, we'll meet again for lunch. During lunch, students interested in running for Student Member-at-Large on the ALD National Council will have a chance to listen to a short presentation about the unique opportunities offered by becoming a member of the ALD National Council.
Saturday afternoon, take some time to explore San Diego - visit the Zoo, take in SeaWorld, walk the deck of the USS Midway stroll on the beach, or enjoy any one of San Diego's countless attractions!
Saturday night, we'll celebrate our 2013 award winners at the Awards Banquet, we'll hear some good words from Advisor of the Year Lisa Ruch.
Finally, Sunday morning will give you a chance to enjoy a leisurely breakfast, chat with National Council and National Office staff members, and say your goodbyes. Or, if you need to hit the road, grab your breakfast to go!
The 2013 Workshop will be held at the Sheraton Hotel and Marina
Sheraton Hotel and Marina
1380 Harbor Island Dr.
San Diego, CA 92101
All chapters that are registered to attend the Workshop by September 6 will be entered into a random drawing - 30 chapters will receive $150 travel grants from National ALD to offset the costs of travel to and from San Diego!